Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Welcome Karter Jaron




Karter Jaron was born Friday June 5th at 7:31 pm. Friday morning at 1:00 am I got up to do one of my many runs to the restroom and felt a few contractions. I got back to bed where I had had a contraction every 10 minutes or so. About 2 am I felt like I was wet. I went to the bathroom again and noticed my water had broken. I got back to the room and felt all around the bed when Brandon woke up saying "what are you doing" I told him that it had broken....Well as some of you know we had just been to the hospital on Wednesday with a false alarm. So he told me to come back to bed and we'd wait a while. Well after about 5 minutes I got up saying I'm taking a shower then we are going. So after a shower and Brandon's breakfast we were well on our way to the hospital. We arrived there around 3 am and they checked me only to confirm my water had broken and I was dialated to a 1. I was staying for sure. At about 6:30 am they wheeled me up to my room and started my pitocin. At 12 I had my epidural.....The man was amazing. I agree with Rachel, this man was my new best friend. At 4 pm I was only dialated to a 4. Brandon was getting hungry so he made a quick trip to Sonic at 5. At 5:3o the nurses came in and said I was ready. FULLY DIALATED! I hadn't had time to talk myself in to the delivery part yet. At 6:00 I started to push. They noticed Karter wasn't in the right position. He was looking at 3 o'clock and should have been looking at 6 o'clock. I have 4 people trying to turn him while I would push during my contraction. This wasn't working so they decided to do the vacuum. My Dr. said if this didn't work I'd be sure to go in for a C-Section. I was not going to let this happen. I pushed with no break in between until Karter came out. He had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck 3 times. He also had a bruise on his forhead from being stuck. They took him to the warmer to work on him. He failed his Apgar test with a 4 but returned five minutes later with a 9. We were pretty scared cause we hadn't heard him cry for a full 45 minutes. We were pretty scared by this point. They were going to take him to the nursery cause he was having such a hard time breathing. But all he needed was his mommy. Once I got to be with him for a while his breathing got regular. He wasn't grunting or flarring his nostrils any longer.
So there you have it. That was our birth story. A full 19 hours in labor and a beautiful baby as my gift. I'd do it again in a heart beat, although while I was in labor I was saying quite the opposite.
Here are a few pictures of our new little family.
Thank you to all who have prayed for us in our family planning period, our pregnancy, birth and now for our future.





10 comments:

Rachel said...

SO CUTE! I love his picture!

Sharon said...

Shanna, he's beautiful! And so are you! How exciting for you both! I haven't seen you in forever, hopefully sometime we'll be able to get together and catch up : ) Enjoy every moment!

-Sharon (useta be Grimes)

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations!! You guys look great. Savor every single moment. It all goes by so fast.

not so zen momma said...

Ok, you are the most beautiful new mother I've ever seen.

I can't wait to meet Karter.

Aubrey said...

He is absolutely perfect!!! We are super excited for you guys!! I completely agree with Liz, it DOES go by so fast! Enjoy!!! I need to come hold him again soon!

Rob and Laurel said...

He is just perfect! So precious! Congratulations- we are so happy for you guys and pray God's blessings over you both and your new family.

onawa said...

Such an amazing story! It was a perfect delivery! Textbook if you ask me!!!! He's absolutely perfect and we're all so glad he's HERE!!! It's still shocking how fast it went! I remember so clearly our GAP meeting thinking... oooo I wonder if we're pregs! And you were!!! And now he's here!!! God is so great! That baby is so handsome... no he's GORGEOUS!!! And you are so beautiful Shanna! And oh Brandon... he is such a proud papa!!! You guys are going to be AMAZING parents!!! So glad we were able to be here for this amazing time in your lives!!!! Love you and oh, the pics are awesome!!!

onawa said...

oh and.... do you have another email address? I just have your weokie one..... how do I send you a message at home?

pps... i know you like your black and orange.. but it is so hard to ready... I think if you switch the colors... black text on orange, it will be easier to read... its hurtin these old eyes...ppps you shouldn't really need the word verification.... watch... take it off and you shouldn't ever get spam.. I've never used it and i have never gotten spam. Just my two cents....

love the blog!

onawa said...

pppppppppp s .... your blog is now on my stalk list on my blog so I'll NEVER lose you!!!! yay!!!

Kyla said...

Congratulations!!! Sorry I'm just now getting to take a look at your blog. I've been thinking about y'all and have been dying to see pictures!! He is just beautiful! I am so happy for you both and can't wait to meet little Karter in person. Keep the pictures coming!